Simon Wilkinson <s...@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
On 17 Jun 2010, at 19:45, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
Its fine to not have it enabled by default, but I can't see why one
would remove the functionality from the source tree.

Because every different configuration option you have doubles the
complexity of testing the code. What actually tends to happen is that
stuff that isn't enabled by default never actually gets tested when
changes are made, and so ends up rotting. So, these options are dangerous
both because we _know_ they can cause data loss now and that's only going
to get worse in the future because nobody developing for the fileserver
actually tests with them enabled.

We have very limited developer effort available. Reducing the breadth of
our code significantly improves our ability to add the new features that
everyone says they want.

My original proposal for both fast-restart and bitmap-later was that we
should remove the configuration options but retain the code for one
release cycle and then remove the code entirely in the next cycle. That
hopefully prevents folk from running them thinking that they're in any
way supported, but still allows those brave enough to do so some time to
move over to demand attach.

Ah, ok. I thought these options were just being removed because people thought it was dangerous. If it is actually a long-term support issue, I am fine with the code being removed.

<<CDC