On behalf of Anders Hannus;

yes, it makes a difference, but not a good one. It neither complains nor creates a mountpoint:

H:\>.\fs.exe -version
OpenAFS_1.5.5900

H:\>.\fs.exe  mkm \\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA staff.ragge

H:\>fs rmm \\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA
fs: File '\\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA' doesn't exist

H:\>"c:\Program Files\OpenAFS\Client\Program\fs.exe" mkm \\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA staff.ragge
fs: mount points must be created within the AFS file system

H:\>"c:\Program Files\OpenAFS\Client\Program\fs.exe"  -version
OpenAFS_1.5.7400

-- Ragge

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
Try the version of fs.exe that works for you on the system that fails.
Does that make a difference?