On 8/27/22 17:46, Ed Rude wrote:

I have faced similar issues at times. If you like everything about the
current behavior of AFS aside from the impact it can have on git you
might attack it from the git side. Maybe there is a way to stop git from
recursing all the way to /afs/ ?

As Kostas suggested (thanks!), setting GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES=/afs will
stop git from trying to access /afs/.git. That clearly seems like a good
idea.

But then I'd need to find similar solutions for Mercurial (looking for
/afs/.hg), Bazaar (/afs/.bzr) and Subversion (/afs/.svn). I'm using one
of those fancy shell prompts that tries to display VCS information
whenever I'm inside a working copy.

Regards,
Ingo