On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Craig James <cja...@emolecules.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM, David Lonie <david.lo...@kitware.com>
> wrote:
> >  I think the most practical reason to switch is the cheap
> > branching. Being able to work on several new features/bug fixes from the
> > same checkout is a very handy feature, and one that I sorely miss when I
> > have to work on an svn-hosted project.
>
> An excellent point. I haven't used git, but branching is positively
> dangerous in SVN.  The documentation warns you that you have to
> manually remember which revisions you've merged or you risk corrupting
> your source code.  I've always thought this was a huge flaw in SVN:
> without external bookkeeping you can and will corrupt your source when
> merging branches.
>
> If git has a better way to branch and merge, that would be a big step
> forward.

It is a much better way :-) Essentially:

(master) $ git checkout -b myNewBranch
(myNewBranch) $ emacs someSourceCode.cpp #edit
(myNewBranch) $ git commit
(myNewBranch) $ git checkout master
(master) $ git merge myNewBranch

and the topic branch is merged into master. Git keeps track of everything
for you. And it actually performs the merge in a new branch and resets
master to the new branch's state when finished -- so if a merge goes bad,
it will prompt you to fix the conflict, or you can just do "git merge
--abort" and everything goes back to the way it was before the merge
started.

Another handy feature to look into is "git bisect". It may seem unnecessary
at first, but when you need it, it's a huge timesaver!
http://linux.die.net/man/1/git-bisect

Dave