On 2013-04-26 05:38, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
>> I'm looking at types.txt and wondering whether not the internal
>> representation of atom types (INT) should be unique? Now there are three
>> HO, two H, three C3 etc.
>
> IIRC, the issue is that some programs have different distinctions. For
> example PCModel (PCM) separates between multiple HO types.
>
> Now that's not saying it's perfect. I think I did a "sort -u" at one point,
> because people kept adding to the bottom and there would be duplicate
> entries, etc. So if you spot good simplifications, please suggest them.

I assume it works like this that OB determines the atom type to be HO (H
bound to O). Now you can in principle subdivide this into different HO,
depending on what the O is bound to. However if you don't use different
names for these HO (HO1, HO2 etc.) then the information gets lost, right?

I would suggest that
1) no double internal names should be allowed
2) a description of each atom type should be included in the file

> For example, I don't remember the difference between MM2 "H" type 5 and type
> 28. We could certainly separate these.
>
> -Geoff

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se