>> Thanks for pointing that out. This means in practice that OB can not
>> distinguish between all those atomtypes that are used in random
>> packages, right?
> we are busy developing a new force field, and would like to use the OB
> types as the basis, to be translated to new force field atom types,
> which would need to be a subset of these types.

It's up to you, but my feeling is that it's better for external users to set up
a list of separate SMARTS for your atom types, much like the current force
fields. This has the benefit that others can port the atom typing rules to
other packages. I'd be happy to help you set up the SMARTS given a set of
initial typing rules. See gaff.prm for an example.

Also, many people can read, understand, and tweak SMARTS.

(MMFF94 doesn't currently use SMARTS in our implementation, but I think ChemKit
and possible Jmol developed these and I've considered porting our code to use
SMARTs to be consistent with the other forcefields in OB.)

> On a side note, it seems that a number of Nitrogen atom types have
> atomnumber 6 (or maybe Rar and R are carbons anyway?)
> Rar 6 0 62 1 C C 3 C 2 R.ar 33 C C 2 1 C.0 26 1
> R 6 0 62 1 C C 3 C 2 R. 33 C C 2 1 C.0 26 1
> Nr 6 0 62 8 C C 3 C 2 Nr. 33 C C 2 1 C.0 26 8

Hm. I've always taken "R" as a carbon, but Nr looks funny.

-Geoff