Hello all,

I moved this issue out of "Conda windows" to keep the discussion clean.

BABEL_DATADIR is absent on windows and data files are placed in "bin/data"
path. A commit some time ago (
https://github.com/openbabel/openbabel/commit/a45a046ff283f79e0f6423408578792e16c80727)
has a regression where "_subdir" param is not even checked which eventually
broke the support of the "bin/data" lookup. Where should I put them? I've
tried few directories which are obvious choices but with no luck:

   - bin/data
   - Library/bin/data
   - share/openbabel
   - share/openbabel/2.3.90

Noel, do you have errors like those bellow in your windows build?

==============================
> *** Open Babel Warning  in OpenBabel::OBGlobalDataBase::Init
>   Cannot open element.txt defaulting to compiled data.
> *** Open Babel Warning  in OpenBabel::OBGlobalDataBase::Init
>   Cannot open types.txt defaulting to compiled data.
> *** Open Babel Warning  in OpenBabel::OBGlobalDataBase::Init
>   Cannot open phmodel.txt defaulting to compiled data.

----
Pozdrawiam,  |  Best regards,
Maciek Wójcikowski
mac...@wojcikowski.pl