> I also had a problem with Data on linux, when I want to compile openbabel
> library statically. Don't you think, that it will be a good idea to link the
> library

By default, the library compiles versions of the data statically. These can be
found in data/*.h and used if no data files are found.

> with up-to-date files like elements.txt isotopes.txt etc and use this like a
> default solution. What is the strong reason to have it as separate file, but
> not inside the library?

If there are updates to the data files, they can be easily edited - even by an
end-user. But hard-coded into the library data requires re-compiling and
re-installation.

For most users, the data files are very useful.

-Geoff