on 8/3/00 1:09 AM, M. Uli Kusterer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Adrian: Excellent.  Does anyone have any objections to moving to source
>> forge.  I must say I'm quite impressed.
>
> Adrian,
>
> as "Number five" would say: "More INPUT!" ...
>
> could you provide a short list of what we would gain, and what we would
> give up as opposed to now? I.e. would everyobody on the list be granted
> access, or *anybody*, or would we have to designate a web-mommy etc.? Would
> we need a CVS client to use CVS (if yes, can you suggest one that works?)
> etc.?

Adrian: We would gain:
* considerable public exposure
* a permanent server
* nightly backups
* CVS
* online forums
* mailing lists (at the same address and in our control, set up as many as
we like...)
* the url freecard.sourceforge.net (and if we register our own domain name
source forge will serve it for us)
* a unix (Linux I believe) server to compile on
* 100Mb of disk space, more if we have a real need for it
* CGI access, including PHP3.
* A MySQL database (as many as we want actually).
* More that I can't remember.

When I get web access back (don't ask, just don't ask...), I'll grab the
services page and send it to the list.

What we loose:
* a Macintosh web server
* HyperCard & AppleScript CGIs (though we don't seem to have any of these
working anyway)
* Alain's website until the CGI aspects are fully removed.
* Mailing list archives??? (We should be able to move them but it will be a
nuicence.

> Would we need a special PHP4 editor to use that aspect etc.

Adrian: No.  PHP3 generates HTML pages - the end user never needs to know
that it's in use.  To write PHP3 all you need is a text editor (no compiler
either).

> Lots of etc.s you might want to fill out.
>
> Principally I'm for the move, but I'm mistrustful... :-)

Adrian: We have much to sort out yet.  I will continue my experiments with
SourceForge.

> Cheers,
> -- M. Uli Kusterer

Adrian Sutton

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Ph: 3714 4649
It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good
impromptu speech.
        -- Mark Twain.