>Ummm... something like:
>
>       call card button 1 "Fred"
>       put "Hello, World!" into "Fred"

hi,

 sounds a bit dangerous to go around just defining names to be something
else. Also, what scope would this "call" command have? If it's local to the
handler it'll be of little use. If it was local to a script it would make
understanding scripts harder. Finally, since the English verb "call" is
already used when referring to handlers being triggered, we'd have to use
another phrase.

 I'd rather see a more restricted feature, e.g. either object references
(e.g. declaring a variable to be a reference to an object) or maybe
introducing some sort of "alias names" for buttons. But all of this is
rather complex and dangerous stuff. However:

 put something into "quoted"

is something I wouldn't want. It waters down the distinction between
strings and containers and is just as bad as #define, it just has a more
cleartext name.

Cheers,
-- M. Uli Kusterer

             http://www.weblayout.com/witness
       'The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere...'