Hi Ivan,

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Ivan Vodišek <ivan.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it was a very good decision not to be tied to a specific logic
> system, but to go a level further - to develop Atomese that can describe
> any system. I just don't get why didn't all of OpenCog add-ons (like MOSES)
> developed in Atomese.

History. The moses vertex was supposed to be the same thing as the atom;
that was always the intent, but no one really knew how to design an atom
correctly.  It still doesn't quite feel right, it still seems kind-of
heavy, clunky, somehow.

Anyway, given the pressure of writing code and getting good performance out
of it ... design decisions get made, and the moses vertex-atom was created
before the opencog-atom was fully designed.

> Why do you still have to use C, Scheme, Python and possibly other
> languages?

Because atomese is a horrible language for humans. Its not meant for humans
-- its really like an IL, its meant to hold data structures that algorithms
can mutate into various forms.

It would be cool if we had a compiler for it, but that does not yet seem
urgent, and might be premature, its still not clear that everything got
done right.

> In my opinion, universal rule rewriting system such is Atomese powered by
> chainers (did I get it right?) should be as complete as lambda calculus,
> thus should be capable to describe any conceivable algorithm.

Uh, yes, there is an explicit lambda atom in atomese, and also an explicit
beta-reduction atom, and the evaluator can evaluate them, so you can
certainly map all of lambda calculus on there. You can even do a typed,
probabilistic lambda calculus; atomese has a fairly rich type system.

 http://wiki.opencog.org/w/LambdaLink_and_ScopeLink
http://wiki.opencog.org/w/PutLink

http://wiki.opencog.org/w/Cog-evaluate!
http://wiki.opencog.org/w/Cog-execute!

I mean, I guess you could layer lisp or scheme on to of atomese, but it
would be painfully slow, with the current evaluator, and would be quite
bloated, since atoms are fat.  Atoms get indexed in the atomspace, and that
ends up being costly in both cpu and ram.

We index them because we want to use the atomspace for KR... which
conflicts with using them only for performing calculations.  Its a
balancing act, its hard to figure out where the imbalance is.

--linas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA36QY_TVh4EGM1yv9WMb9WW2FtU1etm18dxTO_DrqhKPWA%40mail.gmail.com.