Hi Peter,
This is fixed in CVS... DXMACROS is now only tested if the dx script sets it.
The dx script only sets it if you've left it unset.  If you set it and some part
of it does not resolve, dxui will raise an error dialog for the faulty directory
("ok" to dismiss).  It was this irritating error message that led to the script
test in the first place... otherwise the test would be unnecessary.  Since some
parts of dx need DXMACROS to be set, it was unsatisfactory for the dx script to
leave it unset.

There is a companion fix to dxworker that accommodates an empty DXMACROS .

You can safely remove the test, or patch the script from cvs (or cvsweb).
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Pete