Lloyd said:
So, this might be an obscure tip for anyone that runs into this problem...

Thanks. I'm filing this one.

Have you noticed an overall slowing of the UI response (on any system) as the number of modules gets over 1000 (or very large)? I'm not sure if it's the simple number of modules (including receivers, transmitters, etc. in the count), or because I've cultivated a genetic strain here from a large net of the past, which I opened, pruned off great gobs of stuff not needed, but kept gobs of stuff I did need and didn't want to recreate from scratch.

I'm wondering if the fact that new Receivers are numbered in the 1000's (1023 in fact, but there aren't 1023 due to deletions during the historical development; only 738), if the slow response (5-6 sec from click to appearance of a new module in the editor, 10-12 sec to turn a page), is something to do with the namespace searching/hashing that is presumably going on under the covers.

Any thoughts, anyone? The specific system is 4.1.1 on SGI Irix but the net was brisk when smaller (and other moderately large nets, say in the 200-300 module size) are still as brisk as ever.

BTW, a quick and dirty module counter:
grep node your.net | wc -l
or make a nice list
grep node your.net | sort > your.net.list (except the numbers aren't zero padded so the sort is sucky)

Chris Pelkie
Vice President/Scientific Visualization Producer
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
[EMAIL PROTECTED]