Hi Gustavo and the openEHR community,

I?m really sad and disappointed if Gustavo?s opinion is mirrored elsewhere in
the openEHR community.

I?m sure it reflects a frustration with the slow process over past years. But
anyone who has bothered to ask me about how I feel about the progress will hear
that I am much more frustrated than any of you.

We, as the openEHR community really need to do a bit of soul searching. From my
point of view we?ve all been very passive about this modelling work, all
waiting for someone else to do it or take responsibility for it.

The reality is that when Ocean first launched the openEHR CKM, the work fell to
Ocean people. Either Ocean funded it OR Ian and I did the editorial work in our
own time? no other option, and has been the way for years. Truth is, after a
couple of years and getting a couple of hundred archetypes publicly available
on CKM, I was really burned out and unwell. No-one seemed to notice the effort,
to be honest. Certainly no-one seemed to appreciate it.  I stopped doing the
work in my own time and reclaimed my evenings and weekends. I hoped that there
would be a cry of outrage from the community ? ?Why has the CKM work stopped??
But no one noticed; no one said anything, for at least 18 months, possibly more.

This passivity has astounded me.

Over 2 years ago, there was a bit of an epiphany ? a special strategic board
meeting was held in London where others were invited, including myself. The
attendees all agreed that one of the highest priorities was to get archetypes
published. I was able to present calculations on how much it would cost to fund
some editorial work to get this happening. Nothing happened.

Finally, in the second half of last year, the Industry Group has been able to
offer the first funded work to Ian and myself to try to fast track some
archetypes through to publication. This is the first funding that has been
raised in the openEHR community for this critical modelling work ever. The
scope is clearly limited to publishing 69 archetypes. Unfortunately there was
no extra allocated for the extra time required to train or mentor others to do
the work.

The Industry Sprint hasn?t been as fast or as focussed as either Ian or I would
like as we both have ?day jobs? that require our attention as well. However you
will have seen a flurry of activity in the past couple of weeks ? 9 archetypes
have been refined and sent out for review in the past 10 days. I really
appreciate that the Industry Group has collaborated and committed to this
support. And of course it is really exciting that this is one of the first
times we will see potential competitive vendors working together to get
clinical content standardised ? breaking down the siloes!

So the situation IS changing?

And in addition, we need to recognise what we do have ? an amazing set of
building blocks and an approach to clinician engagement that has not been
emulated in any other domain or standards work. This current openEHR approach
is world-leading and with fairly modest resources we can do a lot more that
needs to be done.

The community has a fantastic problem. As of today we have 1300 users from 85
countries registered on the openEHR CKM. What a spectacular resource we have at
our finger tips; 381 people have specifically volunteered to review and 199 to
translate archetypes ? all through word of mouth, no advertising. We have a
purpose-built tool has been developed and provided free of charge to the
community for over 7 years in order to manage the library, collaboration and
governance of information models use that. We have only two trained Editors and
a handful of others with limited experience and zero resources committed to
managing it. So far it has been run on the ?smell of an oily rag? ? not sure
how that will translate outside of Australia ? and this needs to change to
become sustainable.