Thomas Beale wrote:

> Louis,
>
> Implied in your post is the idea that pure dates do indeed have
> timezones. Do you agree that this is the case in ISO8601? If so, then I
> think it is better if all date/time types have a timezone.

I certainly do not speak for Louis but have been meaning to take
time to comment on this issue.

I wish I could support my argument with a 'solid' example.  :-)
All I can say is that, I can imagine an instance (and it only takes
one to break a model) where a person is traveling from Los Angles to
Sydney and has just had an injection of some type before leaving
LA.  They get to Sydney and seem to be having a reaction and are
taken to the Emergency Dept.  Since we have this really cool world
wide accessible electronic health record, the staff gains proper
authority and reviews the patient's treatment before leaving LA.  Do
they instantly know the time difference between LA and Sydney?
There must be a universal reference point if we are to envision
world wide access to a single record (virtual or physical) for care
and health tracking.

Given the fact that there are known duplicates in the abbreviations
used in timezones the offset to UTC should be used as a five
character string; -0600 or +1000 etc.
This also accomodates the various DST rollovers also.

Cheers,
--
Tim Cook
http://www.OpenParadigms.com