This ontology of archetypes discoveries sound an awful lot like the nursing
project of the early-mid 1990's on classification.  The result of this
project produced three classification schemes and defined the linkages
between the three.  These classifications include:

Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC)
Nursing Outcomes Classification (NOC)
North American Nursing Diagnosis Association (NANDA)

 From Sam's example below, the Diagnosis is roughly equivalent to an
observation (NANDA), the intervention is the action (NIC)...and expected
outcomes are not discussed...but seemingly might also be an action in Sam's
example.

The nursing classifications are comprehensive, but specific to nursing.  I
suspect the openEHR definition are targeted at the general practitioner, at
least initially.   Still, there may be some level of re-use possible from
the Nursing classifications.  The bottom line is we should look at the
structure of the nursing classification scheme, and associated linkages
between the classification.  It provides a very organized way to represent
clinical actions and reactions. It is roughly in keeping with the Archetype
ontology Sam describes, but not an exact fit.

For those who want further detail, here's a brief go at describing NIC and
NOC in short.  The publications do much more justice than this short synopsis.

Each intervention has a succinct definition followed by a detailed listing
of activities for that particular intervention (sequencing accounted
for).  Actions for openEHR and NIC activities appear roughly
equivalent.  An example of an intervention is Fluid Management defined as
"Promotion of fluid balance and prevention of complications resulting from
abnormal or undesired fluid levels".  Activities for Fluid Management are
two pages long, but include "Monitor vital signs, as appropriate; Maintain
accurate intake and output record; Weigh daily and monitor trends; etc.

Each outcome has a succinct definition followed by a detailed listing of
indicator categories (and a 1 - 5 "level" for setting indicator
severity).  An example of a outcome is Electrolyte & Acid/Base Balance
defined as "Balance of electrolytes and non-electrolytes in the
intracellular and extracellular compartments of the body".  Indicators for
this outcome include (only a few from the page of indicators) Heart rate
IER; Heart rhythm; respiratory rate; Serum Na; Serum K; Serum Cl; Serum Ca;
Serum pH; BUN; Urine pH; mental alertness; etc.  For each indicator a level
of "1" for Extremely Compromised - to - "5" Not Compromised is indicated.

There are interesting software packages that take the input of the nursing
practices and provide disease and materials management capabilities.

I believe that openEHR will find these classification schemes useful.  It
will require a fairly significant amount of research to duplicate such and
effort, so it might be worth taking a looksee.

Mary E. Kratz
Manager, Internet2 Health Sciences
3025 Boardwalk
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48018