On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 06:06, Sam Heard wrote:
> Christopher
>
> It has been good to read this thread - but I have to wade in here. In
> designing openEHR I have had a few principles in mind.
>
> 1. The technical solution should impose no constraints on social behaviour.
> This means to me that if we want one EHR for each person that is patient
> held or one repository for the entire country the system should work.

This is the only correct approach. Small, limited scope EHRs can always
be amalgamated later to create larger scope EHRs. However, grand,
all-encompassing EHR schemes are, at this stage, in most countries,
bound to flounder on both socio-political and technical rocks. We should
be worry about crawling across the room competently first, but forearmed
with the knowledge that in a decade or so we will be running marathons
(and hence should start out with an approach which can go the distance
apologies for the mixed metaphors there).

> 2.  Linking records is non-existant at the moment and we can move
> incrementally towards an environment where we know where health information
> about an individual resides. Once you start to send EHR data from one site
> to another in openEHR then the links will build automatically. Remember,
> sometimes the patient will not want their information to flow! and while the
> technical view of security checks seems omnipotent, partitioning will always
> be safer.

Every Monday morning, anyone working in this field should re-read the
BMA criteria for privacy of patient data, as drawn up by Ross Anderson
in the mid 1990s - see
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/policy11/policy11.html

A few moments reflection on these principles reveals that there are many
very complex problems for which definitive or even satisfactory
solutions don't yet exist - for example, if a patient consents to access
to their EHR by clinician A, under what circumstance can that consent be
extended to other clinicians, and is the extension of consent
transitive, and/or commutative? This extends to knowledge that an EHR
record for a patient exists (or even that the patient exists), not just
to the contents of that EHR. Very tricky stuff indeed, which is usually
swept under the carpet in an intra-institutional setting, and
increasingly in vertically integrated healthcare organisations - but
organisation won't be able to do that forever, and these issues
certainly can't be ignored for community-wide EHRs. It will take many,
many years, and many many (probably failed) attempts before
well-accepted solutions to these problems are available. In the
meantime, start small...

> 3. openEHR offers a one to one transform for all information in EHRs. Our
> idea is that openEHR servers will retain the comprehensive information that
> comes from legacy or specific systems. Other systems will develop their read
> and write interfaces with openEHR and that will be all they need (at some
> future date) to operate and interoperate with EHR systems. Could be fantacy
> but it looks sweet - we are moving to a real-time trial of this approach in
> Australia.

Which means that release of a production-quality open source openEHR
kernel is approximately how many years away, more or less?

Tim C

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0