Christopher Feahr wrote:

>Karsten,
>I agree that the medical concepts shhould be carefully modeled first...
>then extract the necessary terminologies... then build the necessary
>code lists.  I have not wanted to pay the $500 licence fee to look at
>SNOMED CT, as it will be free for all in 3 months... so I apologize for
>my ignorance there... but my understanding was the the SNOMED people had
>already modeled complaints, signs/symproms, diagnosis, treatment plans,
>prognosis, outcomes... the whole 9 yards.  If that is true (seems too
>good to be true!) then it may only require a (simple??) mapping of
>SNOMED CT to a collection of EHR Archetypes.
>
>My presumption, given the magnitude of the task of producing such a
>granular model... not to mention, the massive physician input and
>necessary vetting, for which there is no efficient mechanism...I am
>assuming that the SNOMED modeling effort is still at a very high
>level.of abstraction.  Can anyone fill ne in on the present state of
>this work?  SNOMED CT claims to already have "350,000 coded medical
>concepts", but since it was constructed by a group of pathologists, I am
>assuming that other care domains are not represented in great detail.
>
>Regards,
>-Chris
>
>Christopher J. Feahr, O.D.
>Optiserv Consulting (Vision Industry)
>Office: (707) 579-4984
>Cell: (707) 529-2268
>http://Optiserv.com
>http://VisionDataStandard.org

Hi All,

Precision and accuracy are two attributes that do not seem to fit the
detection and reporting of symptoms. It also seems that neither are
appropriate since healthcare knowledge is in a continual state of
evolution.

SARS is a recent example; many other exist. Many Patients complain
about healthcare problems that are ignored or result in a diagnosis
that makes literally no sense. I know of a Patient who has a neck
operation, went to the original Physician complaining about severe
problems and requesting pain-killer medication for those times when
the pain was especially severe.

The Physician wrote a prescription for Prozac but no pain killer. One
can only presume that the symptoms suggested that the Patient should
at least feel good about being in so more pain.

Credibility will be really hard to establish in cases such as this.
Moreover,
the diagnosis would have to be rational and logical and based upon
credible, proven history, the Patient's and the community. I think I have
just eliminated the human Provider from the equation.

Modeling is a great effort but fails quickly when it incorporates humans.
I have no objections to humans, I object to incorporating humans in a
procedure that involves accuracy and precision. They are better at
receiving dissimilar information, evaluating it, developing alternatives,
making decisions and following a course of action as long as it appears
to be the right thing to do.

Automatic, knowledge-based processes and procedures could serve the
Patient and Provider well. Modelling the Patient-Provider is very difficult.

-Thomas Clark

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org