Having been away for a couple of days it's difficult to know where to start
with so many responses!

I think that the basic problem lies in the way the documentation system is
intended to be used. That is for "one off assessments" where every time you
sign the document you are supposed to be signing that every piece of
information on the form is correct and/or a new event. Therefore values are
pulled through to be 'helpful' rather than to form part of a piece of
ongoing documentation. Items not verified are meant to be deleted by the
user I assume. Whilst this is useful for some forms e.g. a rating scale it
is not helpful for most of the documenation we have designed. There are a
number of different document behaviours I think we need to meet
requirements.

An example of recording a blood pressure is that in an assessment I may wish
to record the blood pressure. This could be taken by me and recorded as
such. This may however have been taken by the nurse during the nursing
assessment 10 minutes earlier. I may wish to record in my assessment that I
am happy with the value the nurse took and that it was part of this current
assessment. Alternatively I may access the EHR and pull through a value 1
week ago and accept that (with an appropriate explanation of what I've
done). I may even want to use an automatically calculated value to include
the interquartile range of BPs over the past week and record that. Our
system seems to either record a BP as new or not. Any inclusion of a BP
value saves it as a new BP and all other controls seem to behave the same
way. I can in theory have pulled through a blood pressure at every monthly
appointment (from the value within the last month) for 5 years and the
system would think the BP was being recorded as that every month. A human
might find it suspicious that they are all the same looking back through the
history but the system has no means of knowing this.

I believe the system is appropriately storing the versions of the documents.
When I do include nothing in a field when a document is signed I can open up
that document at any point in time and see no value present. When I open a
new document pulling through the last value this is when the previously
mentioned error occurs. It is also true that the last value may be derived
from the same concept recorded in another form or document.

Some of this behaviour and functioning is desirable in some circumstances
but it is assumed that it will work across all situations which I don't
think it does. I shall take the issues about quality assurance to those in
the project better equipped to deal with them.

Thanks,

Matt