On 9 Mar 2004, at 06:51, Thomas Beale wrote:
> A well known study in Harvard medical school (I think) showed that
> putting the message "Do not inappropriately access patient data - all
> your accesses are being logged" on clinician screens a few times a day
> resulted in a drop to near 0 of inappropriate access. No other
> technology was used

Indeed - but the (perhaps) disingenuous claim which is flashed across
clinicians' screens will only work for a finite period before people
stop believing it and revert to their old habits.  Security is a
process, and it requires constant amendment and updating.  If someone
wants to "attack" a system (in this case by inappropriately accessing
records), they will.  To use a phrase which is undoubtedly well known
to everyone, "there is no silver bullet" - especially where security is
concerned...

A good book to look at on the subject of insecure data is The Art of
Deception by Kevin Mitnik.

Never say die.

Best,

Nathan