Andrew Ho wrote:

> This means writing documentation to fully disclose innovative
> system features

Agree.

> and filing some patents from time to time may become
> increasingly important for free software projects.

Disagree. I, like many people, believe that Software, algorithmic and
business method patents should not be permitted, and if one holds that
position, one cannot then pursue software and algorithmic patents
oneself (at least not without being a hypocrite). Better to work
politically for patent reform, and to bust as many software and
algorithmic patent applications as possible through prior art objections
before they issue.

Tim C