Hi

Gerard has raised other issues - there are names for age-ranges or
phases such as adolescence, neonatal, toddler. It may be too much for us
to deal with but age is certainly not just a number - you just have to
ask the mother of a small baby - it has units like days, weeks, months.

I think Gerard missed the point of post-conceptual age - it is the time
since conception and if a child is born very early, remains the basis on
which dosing and milestones are based - sometimes for years after birth.

This was raised as a key issue in systems for paediatricians.

So I was wondering if we should model a class specifically for date of
birth.....which handles date of birth and age as a function, and which
takes arguments like date of conception, date of mothers LMP, Expected
Date of Delivery and stores the normal gestational birthdate as well.
The class then has a feature called post-conception age as well.

The advantage is that we could even deal with things like 'post-natal'
as a function (actual birth to day 28) and other phases in future if
appropriate. It would mean that in family history you could enter 'young
adulthood' as an age which might be better than guessing 22.

Further, I think in our DateTime class we should store text as well as
the date if people want - this would allow us to store "4.30 yesterday"
if a transcription tool wanted to - and the actual date time. This can
make observational data much easier to read when scanning back.

It also means that we can deal with almost impossible fuzzy times like
'last night' in some reasonable fuzzy way without losing the key
information.

In our timing specification for workflow the same will have the same
issue ie we may need the text as well as the computable data - three
times a day might be at 08:00, 16:00 and 00:00, but it is a different
instruction than 8 hourly (where there is no flexibility on spacing of
doses).

Thats enough for now...but I am thinking of putting a change request
together if there is enough interest. The DateOfBirth issue will win a
lot of friends in paediatrics...they are really concerned that their
absolute requirements are never addressed in systems!

Cheers, Sam

Any more thoughts?

Sam

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org