> In ?25% of the extremely wel researched patients in one University
> Hospital we not diagnosed correctly during their life time.
> As could be concluded after an autopsy.
> So what do we really know about disease and complaints?
> What is certainty?
> What is it refering to?
> Do we understand this mine field well enough?

I recommend this book:  "Decision making in health and medicine
Integrating evidence and values" by M Hunink and P Glasziou.

Speaking with experience from rheumatology and general practice in
Norway, I agree that the state of the diagnosis in medical records is
lousy. Just a few points:
- as stated by Gerard, physicians very often come up with the wrong
diagnosis, sometimes with fatal consequences.
- how strong the physician believes in the diagnostic hypothesis is not
stated explicitly.
-- whether this certainty/probability is above or below the test-treat
threshold (depends among others on the expected utility of the
treatment) is not stated.
-- whether this certainty/probability is above or below the  no treat
(wait) - test threshold
- too many resources are spent on excuding differential diagnoses whose
(pretest) probabilities already are below the no treat - test threshold
--this to maintain the trust from the patient / avoid the risk of
litigation.

The actions of health care personnel have norms. What entity a
"diagnosis" is can also be evaluated according to what the norms say it
_should_ be. The diagnosis _ought_ to be an inferrence drawn from
medical knowledge and information which stems from the patient.

It is not the underlying disease but the physician's inferred diagnosis
that form the basis of all health interventions. Because of this, it
deserves to be represented as more than a subjective statement.

In an EHR system, it should be possible to link the diagnosis statement
with its underlying premises. It should also be possible to link the
diagnosis to the set of plans/actions that follows as a consequence.
This would lay the foundation for EHR systems that visualizes the
consequences of physician's actions in a much better ways than in
systems of today.

regards
Arild fax

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org