Hi All,

What Gerard stated is correct regarding the objective of the OpenEHR
effort. What Thomas stated is
equally important.

On the Patient side positions become reversed, i.e., Importance is
attached to Thomas's position and
Gerard's position re 'what clinicians deemed important to say' yields
data and information that the
Patient can channel to another Clinician if needed.

Overall the time the Patient spends in the Clinicians office performing
an interview is typically a small
spot on the time scale affected with uncertainty but important enough to
yield a procedure that may
restore Health to some prior state.

On the Patient's side the need for EHRs (plural) is clear: a minimum of
three EHRs, one for the
Clinician, one for the Patient and a meta EHR that keeps the data and
information organized and
readily accessible.

Translated into Developer English that is and OpenEHR project for
Clinicians (because the Patient needs
to capture the Clinician's diagnosis and course-of-treatment), and
PatientEHR system capable of
handling Patient-provided data and information, and a meta database for
organisation and access.

The same approach is applicable for the Patient. Recording 'what
clinicians wanted to say' may be a
life-saving measure. Applying a meta database would organize the data
and information and can be
considered the first level in a data mining system. The current OpenEHR
approach minus
'what clinicians wanted to say' is an approach destined to block data
mining, limit functionality and
produce unresolvable points in the record (simply because of recording
uncertainty; accurate, precise
reproduction requires certainty).

The proposed approach is not easy on the Patient's side. The benefits
include a much expanded data
capture operation that covers 24/7 Health. Reproduction is also hampered
by uncertainty but
overall reproducibility is much better.

Being able to reproduce 'what clinicians wanted to say' is a major benefit.

Regards!

-Thomas Clark

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org