Gerard Freriks wrote:

> The EHR is not invented to describe the real actual health status of
> the patient.
> It is there to document what clinicians deemed important to say ABOUT
> the health status of the patient.
> It always is an opinion of a professional about something.

yes, hopefully we all agree with this philosophy.

But we need to add (contradict me if I'm wrong;-) that it is what
clinicians wanted to say which they deemed relevant to next steps -
either diagnostic or intervention. What to do next is not just based on
the doctor's confidence about what the symptoms might mean, but also on:
- the urgency of treatment of that condition (cases like cerebral
meningitis, malaria...)
- the severity of the condition (e.g. cystic fibrosis)
- the severity of the consequences of the condition on others (CF,
huntington's, ...)

...so it seems to me that the indicator of what to do next when a
differential diagnosis is recorded relates strongly to the innate
characteristics of the conditions recorded, not just the doctor's
opinion of how likely it might be. If angina pectoris is a possible
diagnosis for "burning chest pain" at 5%, with the most probable
diagnosis (in the opinion of the physician) being "gastric reflux" at
95%, and it is a 55-yo with a family history of coronary heart disease,
I presume that the angina pectoris possibility is the one that drives
the next steps? How are the confidences really decided?

How are we to bridge the gap between the physician-recorded confidence
factor and the total list of factors which drive the next steps? What do
we need in the EHR? Is this "just" a decision support problem (where the
physician will be performing the decision support)?

> He, himself, always makes statements with varying degrees of certainty.
> Physicians are no gods that know everything.

What? And I thought....oh no, my whole world is shattered...:-)

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org