From: Vincent McCauley [mailto:vin...@mccauleysoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 1 March 2006 2:12 PM
To: openehr-technical at openehr.org
Cc: Tom Beale; Heath Frankel
Subject: Re: Pathology numeric values not supported in DV_Quantity

Hi Sam,
This case is I believe actually a measure of accuracy of a result.

In my pathology system, I deal with it by having a separate attribute on
quantity
It takes values such as >, <, >=, <=, ~
(~ => approximately, I => Inaccurate)

the value "I" may be used for instance when an analyser returns a potassium
value
which on subsequent examination of the blood is shown to be erroneously
high due to haemolysis. This is usually accompanied by some text which
is displayed instead of the numeric value e.g. HAEM but the underlying
numeric value needs to be stored anyway as well.

This of course makes the logic for deciding whether a result is within a
normal range
more interesting and graphing routines etc need to take this flag into
account.

I don't feel strongly whether you deal with this as part of the quantity
datatype or have a new
datatype inheriting from quantity.

Regards
Vince