Dear All,

Pathologists and laboratory message standards developers have over
many years made clear to me that it is always good practice to
include the applicable normal range with individual instances of
observed values, since those ranges are not fixed across measurement
methods, devices, organisations or over time. Published reference
ranges in clinical textbooks etc. are only a guide for those tests in
which the variation is nowadays quite small.

For this reason, right from Synapses days - a decade ago! - , we have
not sought to put reference ranges into the archetype specification,
but (as Tom has stated) only to ensure that the archetype caters for
the inclusion of reference range instances along with the observed
value(s).

With best wishes,

Dipak
Dr Dipak Kalra
Clinical Senior Lecturer in Health Informatics
CHIME, University College London
Holborn Union Building, Highgate Hill, London N19 5LW
Direct Line: +44-20-7288-3362
Fax: +44-20-7288-3322
Web site: http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk