hi Bert,

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 09:03 +0100, Bert Verhees wrote:

> Closed source doesn't solve the interoperability-problem either, at
> least it didn't last twenty years, but it is used a lot.
> So your answer does not seem right to me.

Well, I'm not sure how my answer doesn't seem right.  Maybe it is the
things that I assumed and left out, given the audience?  Of course the
closed source model hasn't provided the solution.  But neither has the
open source community.

If you look at open source successes you will see that they are a result
of open specifications/standards.

Let's take Ethernet for example.  Without a doubt, IBM's Token Ring
technology was HUGELY superior.  It was a difficult decision for me in
the 1980s.  I was lucky and went with the open standard of Ethernet.  It
catapulted my career at that point.

Since then, other open standards have proven to be very successful. They
have basically CREATED the Internet.

> The license model has nothing to do with interoperablity.
>
> (sorry, open door, couldn't resist)

No apologies required.  In fact, you made my point.  It isn't about the
software license as much as it is about the specifications.  If we do
not join together in a standard information model then we (FOSS
community) will only be more of the same.

MAYBE!!!???? AMIA & HIMSS will get a clue?

Cheers,
Tim