Hi Leo,

In pure semantic terms I appreciate the difference but this is practically
of no value.

What does this empty string mean?

Is it?

a) The doctor simply did not add any comment.
b) The doctor purposefully 'added an empty string' by clicking through the
data entry widget, perhaps to signify 'no comment'.
c) The doctor couldn't add a comment for some other technical /
environmental reason.

These are very subtle differences to most clinical staff and I would not
want to base any safe querying on assumptions that clinicians would record
these differences reliably.

If there is a need to positively identify 'no comment', I would model that
explicitly but this is rare in clinical practice, and usually is recorded
for medico-legal reasons rather than future querying e.g. 'No known
allergies' is a legitimate clinical comment but cannot ever be safely
queried upon, since the next clinical statement in the record might well be
'Diagnosis = Penicillin Allergy'.

The most significant principle is that we do not normally record 'empty
data' at all in openEHR. The data simply does not exist in the clinical
record. If some sort of comment is mandatory then using the null is the
means to allow an empty comment.

I have copied ot the clinical list, as it would be interesting to get some
other feedback.
Ian

Dr Ian McNicoll
office / fax  +44(0)141 560 4657
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
skype ianmcnicoll
ian.mcnicoll at oceaninformatics.com
ian at mcmi.co.uk

Clinical Analyst  Ocean Informatics openEHR Archetype Editorial Group
Member BCS Primary Health Care SG Group www.phcsg.org / BCS Health Scotland