yep. Perfectly stated.

On 23/03/2012 03:32, pablo pazos wrote:
> +1 to Grahame comments.
>
> - Pablo.
>
> > Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:12:04 +1100
> > Subject: Re: Suggestion to replace use of generics with inheritence
> in future RM versions
> > From: grahame at healthintersections.com.au
> > To: openehr-technical at lists.openehr.org
> >
> > Generally, you can do things in specifications that can't be
> > reproduced in actual implementations.
> > Since there is one specification, but many implementations, the list
> > of things that the specification
> > contains that aren't easy to implement varies widely between
> implementations.
> > The things that are hard to implement are sometimes also very useful
> > for expressing meaning
> > and purpose. So a good specification balances between using things
> > that are useful without
> > using things that are too hard to use.
> >
> > With regard to generics, my normal implementation contexts do not
> > support generics (XML/XSD, old
> > versions of various languages), but I still find them useful in the
> > specifications and would prefer
> > the specification expressed itself cleanly
> >
> > Grahame
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Peter Gummer
> > <peter.gummer at oceaninformatics.com> wrote:

> the ITEM_STRUCTURE change to a VALUE_CLUSTER:
> > >>

> http://www.openehr.org/wiki/display/spec/openEHR+2.x+RM+proposals+-+lower+information+model#openEHR2.xRMproposals-lowerinformationmodel-CandidateA.1AddVALUECLUSTER%2CRemoveITEMSTRUCTUREtypes

> and some other languages.
> > >

> > > Multiple inheritance is easily implemented in Java and C# ... via
> interfaces.
> > >
> > > The problem is that you often need to duplicate code. For example,
> in that diagram, VALUE_CLUSTER inherits from both ELEMENT and CLUSTER.
> In C# you can't do that, so you would probably declare ValueCluster as
> implementing two interfaces, IElement and ICluster; then you would
> copy the implementations of Element and Cluster into ValueCluster.
> Java would do something similar, although the naming convention of the
> interfaces might be different. (In C#, you might even decide to avoid
> some of the code duplication by using extension methods. Or maybe not
> ... it might cause more trouble than it solves.)
> > >
> > > Peter

Ocean Informatics       *Thomas Beale
Chief Technology Officer, Ocean Informatics
<http://www.oceaninformatics.com/>*

Chair Architectural Review Board, /open/EHR Foundation
<http://www.openehr.org/>
Honorary Research Fellow, University College London
<http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/>
Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS, British Computer Society
<http://www.bcs.org.uk/>
Health IT blog <http://www.wolandscat.net/>

*
*