I continue to wonder what will happen when a cancer patient (perhaps in a moment of depression or disaffection with care) asks for the hard delete, gets better, then has a recurrence a few years later. What does the health system do when /all the notes are really gone/?

I think a better solution is to create a digital locked room when such EHRs are put, one-way encrypted with a giant key provided by the patient. Then when they have regrets, they can ask - nicely - for their record to come out of cold storage.

Another argument against total deletion is that a) the state has invested in helping sick patients and b) other citizens have a potential interest in health records belonging to those in the same major disease cohort, i.e. diabetes, cystic fibrosis, BRCA1 cancer etc. Numerous deletions are certainly going to compromise research that looks at longitudinal Dx v treatments v outcomes. Perhaps perhaps permanent anonymisation is a better solution in this case, with the original patient being given the new EHR id.

I think GDPR has some way to go yet in healthcare...

- thomas