On 10.03.22 19:25, Ross Burton wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 at 17:36, Konrad Weihmann <kweihm...@outlook.com <mailto:kweihm...@outlook.com>> wrote:

    Sorry to say that - but to me (even though it's more work) pip seems to
    be the better option - the proposed tool is ~8 months old and not part
    of pypa community as it seems - so in comparison to pip this could not
    be labeled "battle proven".

It’s not that unheard of, for example the flit_core bootstrap documentation says to use it:

https://flit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/bootstrap.html <https://flit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/bootstrap.html>

It also does one job and just one job, which is A Very Good Thing.

Still doesn't make it the best choice TBH.
Just diving into the code makes me wonder about a lot, like

- can this tool run on non arm/aarch64/x86/x86-64 hosts (https://github.com/pradyunsg/installer/blob/fad2894a572d5497a3dceec58407c276f21e8c11/src/installer/utils.py#L140) - in its full feature set? - the assumptions made by this function, makes me think, it doesn't - support of this here https://github.com/pradyunsg/installer/issues/98, should be given by a matured tool

    Especially as the second patch of the series removes the possibility to
    use the tooling proposed by python upstream for installing stuff.

Do you mean Pip here? That’s one option.  Installing a wheel is a glorified unzip, pip brings a lot of baggage that we don’t care about.

I should make it clear that this class is not for installing arbitrary wheels, it installs a wheel we just built and in the future will build the wheel too.

Then that's definitely missing in the commit message, that this should be an option and not the default

    If one would want to have that kind of tooling the switch from pure
    setup.py to toml and friends could have been done already a year ago
    (python-build was the originally proposed tool iirc) - so this feels to
    me like a step in the wrong direction (esp. the part that this would
    rely on a tool **not** supported by upstream)

Adding support for build is next on the list.

Ross

Anyway, I think in before this patch series the switch to wheels was good enough to work with it, now it's just introducing another tool - that doesn't feel right to me, but I will stop arguing about that