On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 at 19:03, Konrad Weihmann <kweihm...@outlook.com> wrote:
> > It also does one job and just one job, which is A Very Good Thing.
>
> Still doesn't make it the best choice TBH.
> Just diving into the code makes me wonder about a lot, like

Also referenced on https://github.com/brettcannon/mousebender, by a
prominent Microsoft Python engineer.

> - can this tool run on non arm/aarch64/x86/x86-64 hosts
> (https://github.com/pradyunsg/installer/blob/fad2894a572d5497a3dceec58407c276f21e8c11/src/installer/utils.py#L140)

Line 137 makes that moot, that's all Windows-specific.

> - support of this here https://github.com/pradyunsg/installer/issues/98,
> should be given by a matured tool

That's moot: it installs where the Python sysconfig module says to
install, which is told where to install when we build Python.

The Nix people want to override it per-package because they use
per-package prefixes, but we don't.  The prefix Python is built with
is the prefix we want to install into.

> > I should make it clear that this class is not for installing arbitrary
> > wheels, it installs a wheel we just built and in the future will build
> > the wheel too.
>
> Then that's definitely missing in the commit message, that this should
> be an option and not the default

If you want to install arbitrary packages with pip, then just use pip directly.

Ross