On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 10:26 AM Ross Burton <r...@burtonini.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 at 17:36, Konrad Weihmann <kweihm...@outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to say that - but to me (even though it's more work) pip seems to
>> be the better option - the proposed tool is ~8 months old and not part
>> of pypa community as it seems - so in comparison to pip this could not
>> be labeled "battle proven".
>

> It’s not that unheard of, for example the flit_core bootstrap
> documentation says to use it:
>
> https://flit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/bootstrap.html
>
> It also does one job and just one job, which is A Very Good Thing.

And in fact, this was the first tool in my implementation. At the time it
was only a library and my awkward do_configure() cat << EOF scripts needed
to know the path to the wheel. It wasn’t gelled yet.

In the limited needs of oe-core, pip install “worked” (or seemed to) and so
that is what was submitted. To be clear, if we knew what we know now I
would never have used pip to install _our_ wheels. Never. It is a bloated
code base that wants to fetch your package, its dependencies, build them
all in a virtual environment and install them where it wants to install
things. It is entirely an end-user “desktop” tool.  This entire time, shoe
horning pip to do what we want has been a PITA.

Whether we switch to python3-installer now or later… I have little doubt we
will wish we had switched.

> Especially as the second patch of the series removes the possibility to
>> use the tooling proposed by python upstream for installing stuff.
>

> Do you mean Pip here? That’s one option.  Installing a wheel is a
> glorified unzip, pip brings a lot of baggage that we don’t care about.
>
> I should make it clear that this class is not for installing arbitrary
> wheels, it installs a wheel we just built and in the future will build the
> wheel too.

In fact, the pip_installer_wheel class opens the door to naive users
creating binary-only recipes to install random wheels from the internet.
There is ZERO chance we can support that workflow. Wheels will have
mismatched python ABI, glib, arch, etc. I have absolutely no intent to
answer any requests to do this. We build from source. You can write a
recipe on your own to use python3-pip-native to do this…here’s your spool
of rope. Good luck with your technical debt. You were warned not to do this.

> If one would want to have that kind of tooling the switch from pure
>> setup.py to toml and friends could have been done already a year ago
>> (python-build was the originally proposed tool iirc) - so this feels to
>> me like a step in the wrong direction (esp. the part that this would
>> rely on a tool **not** supported by upstream)
>

> Adding support for build is next on the list.

And would have already been in this implementation (with python3-build) if
only we could build a time machine. It just wasn’t ready yet. I was close…
the calendar said not close enough.