> One more thing I want to mention is that if you want to align the
> architectures so that you can install RPMs from Fedora, RHEL or any
> other RPM-based binary distro, don't. It's not going to work at all,
> or will cause you lots of pain and suffering. We use rpm for its
> packaging and dependency resolution functions, but no one ever
> promised any kind of 'compatibility' with Red Hat products.

Indeed, I'm not going to align those names for this.  Moreover, for
this particular case rpm(1) supports several parameters to disable
arch/os/etc checks.

> So no, I don't think we should be taking a patch which would just
> confuse things for what seems to be a cosmetic reason.

The patch proposed is not about a cosmetic change, it's about precise
control over what packaging system produces.  Given the recipes can
override variables with a priority over any confs/classes, it looks
like there is no proper way to overload the values (in particular
PACKAGE_ARCH) used during packaging process.  Some variables could be
used to adjust TUNE flags and their values should stay intact prior to
packaging.

Anyways, your word will be the last but I am still sure that "more
control" is better than "no conrol".

Kind wishes, Sergei