On 01.10.2023 20:22, Martin Jansa wrote:

Issue with .cmake file from protobuf, right?

No, it's the issue with the cmake of the project that uses protobuf. But that depends on a user case, perhaps I didn't get it properly.

    If we can properly fix it at the recipe level, then why should we
    keep this workaround/hack?

    Also if you really need it, you can have a .bbappend for
    protoc/grpc in the downstream layer. But I would be in favor to
    avoid this by default no?

I haven't seen any proper fix for this exact issue. Yes you can patch .cmake generation not to include bindir when building for target (while it needs it for native build), but then that change will break possible use of protobuf on target, so the SYSROOT_DIRS still seems like lesser evil here.

Here are some examples from meta-ros:
https://github.com/ros/meta-ros/commit/875ceed4b1c693c2eb0f2b7ea85385be576a62cc
https://github.com/ros/meta-ros/commit/67c03755543655ad0634e078bc30d8ab9969a16c
https://github.com/ros/meta-ros/commit/5e61eb0520d2841c0da7e14eecc833b3c4104533
https://github.com/ros/meta-ros/commit/a53bb7cc8b45a72b704e75311d68b37a6db50cdf

I don't care about protobuf, but the explanation from Samuli looks like the same issue as what I remember from above and I don't see how SYSROOT_DIRS causes mixing executables or any issues for installing them for target.

I didn't look at the original issue of Samuli, but your issue is also fixed by a workaround. IMHO, the proper fix would be not to make CMake "happy" by providing a binary it can't use, but a proper export of cross-compiled tools for https://github.com/geographiclib/geographiclib/blob/main/CMakeLists.txt library. I'd say the workflow should be similar to protobuf/grpc recipes, i.e. a native recipe builds the libraries only, and the target recipe builds tools and libraries.

Regards,
Slava