Salman,

What you're doing sounds completely normal.  What controller are you using?

Also, if you're using wireshark to dissect the packets, the IPs are a
bit confusing -- you're seeing the IPs of the data packets embedded in
the packet_in's, not the IPs of the outer transport layer packets.  If
you explore deeper into the packet, you should be able to verify this.

- Rob
.