On Feb 8, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Peter Fales wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:08:06PM -0800, Murphy McCauley wrote:
>> I'd suggest that you try running POX's openflow.discovery component and see
>> if it works, since it would seem to do pretty much what you're trying to do
>> here (generate LLDP messages from scratch).  If it works, check out the
>> messages it's generating and compare them with your own (you can use
>> openflow.debug to save it all as PCAP traces).
>
> That was a very helpful suggestion.   I ran openflow.discovery and I *did*
> see discovery messages received on the host connected to the switch
> port.   However I was puzzled because the destination MAC address was
> 01:23:20:00:00:01, rather than the LLDP multicast address.  Examing the
> disccovery.py code, I see that it's using the "Nicira Discovery Protocol"
> Multicast adress rather than the LLDP Multicast Address.
>
> I changed our code to use the NDP_MULTICAST address rather than
> LLDP_MULTICAST and now I see the packets generated by my code!
>
> So, now the question is why doesn't it like the LLDP_MULTICAST address?
> Is the openflow switch refusing to send these for some reason?  Or
> perhaps the connected host running wireshark is eating them at a layer
> below where wireshark can see them?  Or something else?

The normal LLDP broadcast address is in the bridge filtered range, so anything
that thinks it's a bridge (Linux bridge module?) could be eating them.

(NOX and POX specifically don't use the usual bridge filtered LLDP address
because they wanted to be able to "see through" non-OpenFlow bridges when
discovering the topology.)

-- Murphy