Ignacio Valdes wrote:
> I've really come to loathe the auto-reply to the list feature of
> openhealth :-) -- IV
>
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:50:08 -0600
>  "Ignacio Valdes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Joseph, Off the record on the Phoenix-PM deal, what does your bid
>> stand to win $ wise?
>>
>> -- IV

Yes... off-the-record (but archived forever on the Internet and
searchable via Google...).

Seriously, it this is a real problem with email-based clinical
communication. One solution being deployed in more and more practices
here in Australia is the use of an open source proxy email server
sitting at the interface beween a practice or clinic or hospital LAN and
the Internet. It uses rules to automatically encrypt mail - for
instance, you can say: any mail sent to X must always be encrypted
(because it probably contains confidential patient information).
Ideally, you also need to be able to set up rules to say: if a rule
requires that a particular message to one recipinet requires encryption,
then that message must be sent in encrypted form to all recicipients.
See http://www.argusconnect.com.au Unfortunately, the software is built
around the HeSA PKI which is specific to Australia (run by the govt for
healthcare workers only, uses proprietary hardware and software,
although it is X.509 based) - but that nexus could be broken without
re-writing the Argus software from scratch, I am told.

The excellent Thunderbird email client, with Enigmail installed, also
permits encryption rules to be set up, which can help avoid embarrassing
mistakes like sending confidential messages to an Internet mailing list.
But your correspondents do need to have and use GnuPG keys...

Tim C