Perhaps you are right. The limitations you point out are indeed very significant. However when an individual reads a case study and comes to the conclusion that this is a major contribution to the development of knowledge about the subject in question, it needs to be pointed out that it is just a case study and where case studies fall within the scope of scientific investigations.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Churches" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <openhealth-list@minoru-development.com>
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 7:22 PM
Subject: Re: Attitudes of hospital workers towards electronic medical records

Franklin Valier wrote:
In science this type of study only has value as to its scientifically
agreed upon use.  Its ability to be relied upon to make reliable
conclusions from the methodology has to be taken into perspective when
reading the study.  It has value, but in science you don't take it too
seriously.  We rely on empirical studies for serious evaluation of a
phenomena.  If they haven't been done, all you can say is this is all
have and this is all we know right now.  Not much.  I wouldn't get too
upset about this.

I think that you are being overly dismissive of observational studies. Controlled experiments are great, but a) they can be hard to arrange when the thing being tested is a hospital-wide information system which costs tens of millions of dollars to implement and b) controlled trials can introduce their own sets of biases and limit generalisability due to overly tight selection criteria. And how practical is it to randomise whole hospitals to "get teh computer system" or "stay with paper"? OPolitically that is rather hard to do.

Certainly in the case of evaluations of implementations of hospital and
other clinical infromations systems it is best to use a before-and-after
study design, in which the hospital acts as its own matched control, and
the same survey instruments and methods are used before and after the
implementation of the system. It is easy to say that in retrospect, but
getting money from management to commission an expensive evaluation
study of a new information system BEFORE the system has even begun to be
installed can be a challenge, I suspect.

Tim C