On Friday 27 January 2006 03:13 pm, Rick Stockton wrote:
> Can someone advise me, why does OpenEMR tend to have so many
> checkboxes in its forms? (I am without a clue, just a sentence or two
>  is sufficient.)

Because that's what the docs ask for.  Most of them don't like to
type a lot of stuff, or can't type quickly; they want to click a few
checkboxes and be done with it.

For evidence of this see this thread at emrupdate.com:

  http://www.emrupdate.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4820

which, coincidentally, specifically concerns OpenEMR.

Another reason is data mining.  It's a lot easier to pick information
out of specific data fields than from freeform text.

-- Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com