Rod Roark wrote:

> The point is, open source (as in Free Software) is NOT a business
> model.  It's a method and end result of collaboration among users.
> I make good money at it only because some of those users are willing
> to pay me to do the techie work for them.
if someone is paying you something, then there is a business model. It's
better to be aware of what it is than pretend that it isn't there....

> I repeat: NOBODY will pay thousands for certification of Free
> Software.  They will use it because they already believe in it.
If the accreditation process and procedures are transparent and do
indeed show that anyone claiming to have an XYZ-compliant product really
does have such, then it is in the interests of the users. Put yourself
in the shoes of a purchaser (especially a health authority or
government). Let's say you are interested in DICOM software. Let's say
there are two products on the market that do what you want, but only one
is certified. You find out about the certification process, you discover
that the test cases are published as are the procedures for doing the
certification. You know that the certified product correctly processes
say 50 published test files, and does 65 other things described in the
process. Finally, let's say that the prices are within 30% of each
other. Which one do you buy?

- thomas beale