Joseph may remember the first time I had to take my
previous EMR product (MUFFIN) through conformance
testing. It took months of planning, documentation,
test server and configuration, and then finally a week
of testing - basically going through point by point of
the system specification. I was also the programmer
then so the cost was primarily my time (hours of
evenings and weekends).

With the OntarioMD certification for OSCAR, I had to
hire a manager level staff for about 6 months to deal
with the documentations and vendor meetings,
coordinate with a dedicated programmer to modify OSCAR
to meet the requirements - which turned out to be
quite extensive, and then to prepare for the week long
testing under a specific testing configuration. I
don't have an accurate cost but we did reserve about
$50,000 for just the programming alone (we also had to
contract out a couple of pieces to work to an outside
programmer).

Conformance testing is expensive. We were able to get
funding from the government for using a certified
product at the end (much more than we had spent on
doing it). It would have been difficult to come up
with the money and energy if we hadn't anticipated the
funding opportunity.

Hope this information helps. Obviously, every
situation is a bit different.

Best regards,
David

--- Joseph Dal Molin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the pilot test of the criteria vendors took
> between roughly 30 and
> 300 hours to document their solutions.....don't know
> to what extent they
> went....so Tim's estimate sounds reasonable. We
> estimated it will take
> 300 hours for VistA Office....we will let everyone
> know when we are done
> how long it took.
>
> I personally believe certification is
> important....but it should impose
> as small a "tax'  as possible, regardless of the
> license, business model
> etc. Automated scripts would go a long way to
> achieve this.
>
> Would be interesting to hear from David Chan how
> much effort was
> required to certify OSCAR in Ontario, Canada?
>
> Joseph
> WorldVistA, VVSO
>
> Tim.Churches wrote:
>
> > Test files?In fact, there is no reason why
> automated test scripts
> > couldn't be used to demonstrate compliance with
> the criteria described
> > by CCHIT - see
> http://www.cchit.org/publiccomment4.htm - but I get
> the
> > feeling that those framing the criteria had human
> actors in mind with
> > respect to their test scripts. I might be wrong.
> >
> > Either way, it would seem quite feasible for an
> open source project to
> > publish documentation of how it meets the
> certification criteria in the
> > documents on the above Web page. Tedious to
> compile such documentation,
> > but still only person-weeks (or at worst one- o r
> two-person months)of
> > work, I suspect, not person years. Split it up
> between five or six
> > people and its doable without danger of inducing
> madness. If a project
> > did that, then the CCHIT charge for certification
> ought to be minimal,
> > if anything at all.
> >
> > Tim C

> email to:
> >        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of
> >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

> > .

David H Chan, MD, CCFP, MSc, FCFP