Nandalal Gunaratne wrote:

> alvinbmarcelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I think everyone in openhealth will agree to what you say Alvin. But
> we need to set these standards first, and from what i can see this is
> not going anywhere.
The HSSP folks are doing this now.  Service Oriented Architectures (SOA)
is a new "fad" even though the concept has been around for a long time.
The HSSP is seeking to help provide SOA solutions in healthcare through
the HL7 (for functional specs) and the OMG (for technical specs).  We
are participating in this and any one can participate and should if they
are interested in promoting interoperability.

> What standards do we need to allow the FOSS community to build little
> products that work together and share information ? Have we got any we
> can use and what are they?
We have several (from the OMG HDTF) but people aren't using them.
They've been around for almost a decade.   Probably people think they
are too complex, but they are simple compared to the Web Service stuff
that is going on now.

> OpenEHR archetypes is one of the most sensible that I see.
>
> I agree that MirrorMed is doing something useful by getting and
> sharing code, but this is only one way of collaboration.
What are the interface supported by MirrorMed?  Interoperability
requires more than sharing code.   Interoperability shouldn't require
everyone to use the same database backend, for example.

> What happens if MirrorMed works with Chits and Hospital OS based in
> Phillipines (using Linux and postgresql)? Can we use the functions of
> OIO/Zope which has undeniable advantages in some areas of medicine?
> Can we share information between them? Then there is the Java based
> OSCAR McMaster.
>
> Maybe something can come out soon on these matters.
There has been lots of discussion on these subjects on the openhealth
list over a long period of time.  It is having people commit to
standards that seems to be missing.

Dave