David Forslund wrote:
> Alvin,
>
> We had exactly this approach with the OMG HDTF (aka corbamed) in the
> late 90's.   There are standards there which do exactly this (long
> before people thought about doing web services).  In addition, this is
> now being revisited with the HSSP joint effort of HL7 and the OMG
> (hssp.wikispaces.org).   Since there are specifications for this type of
> integration, I would hope people would pay attention to at least learn
> from them in later versions of such standards.   The HSSP effort is and
> all are invited to participate.   The only open source system I'm aware
> of that has tried to follow this pattern is the OpenEMed software :-)
> What is the "glue" that is used in CHITS?
>
> If all open source systems "glue" stuff together differently, it isn't
> all that much better than proprietary systems although it might be more
> "discoverable".   Our entire philosophy with OpenEMed is to have well
> defined interfaces that define component behavior so that systems can
> interoperate easily.  This was proven to work very well at HIMSS in
> 1998, where a number of commercial products worked out of the box
> without any prior configuration.

Alvin and Herman can give far more informed answers on CHITS, but lack
of information has never stopped me from venturing an opinion...

Looking at the documentation for CHITS, it seems that the "glue" in
CHITS is a set of specifications for writing plug-in modules in PHP.
Although that gets one only so far, I think it is a very appropriate
place to start given the immediate goals of CHITS - it is intended for
deployment in community health clinics in developing countries. Note the
list of pre-requisites for a CHITS installation in a clinic:

"...a telephone connection is desirable but optional..."

(that's a telephone for voice communications, not computer communications).

That doesn't mean that attention should not be paid to interoperability,
but worrying about which standard to use for a network-based
service-oriented architecture (SOA) comes a fair way down the list when
writing software intended for such settings.

Of more relevance is interoperability between applications on the same
server (which is likely to be the only server in the clinic, without any
persistent network connections to any other server anywhere else - at
best an intermittent dial-up connection). Thus starting with a plug-in
framework for the software implementation language, as the CHITS people
have done,  seems a reasonable place to start. Interoperability with
other software on the same server can then be achieved in a myriad of
ways, such as passing around data extracts in CSV files, or directly
reading data from the MySQL database which CHITS uses. Sure, proper APIs
and other callable interfaces are desirable, and XML-RPC can be used for
this, but the reality is that the interfaces are likely to be ad hoc and
app-to-app within the confines of a single server. Not perfect or ideal,
but surprisingly effective and easy to do. The effort of quickly
creating an app-to-app ad hoc interface using XML-RPC within the
confines of a single server is often a lot less than trying to read and
comply with far more complex interface specifications and standards.

None of that is to say that interoperability standards are not
important, but when you only have a single server working in isolation
in a single clinic, or at best having a dial-up modem link to the
Internet now-and-then (eg when it is not raining, when moisture causes
so much noise in the lines due to "battery" effetcts in the telephone
terminal connections that a modem connections are impossible...), then
it is highly localised interoperability that really counts.

Tim C