Interoperability certainly isn't the "only" issue.  However, you will
find that it
is an integrating issue.  That is it brings a number of important issues
together and
actually reduces cost.  There is never a question of whether one needs
to interoperate, only when.  Typically people want to defer this issue,
but in doing so they only increase the long term cost and reduce
the benefit to the patient.   We wrote a paper on this in 2000, which I
referred
to in an earlier email, but I've not heard a critique of that paper.
Planning for interoperability (not necessarily fully implementing it) I
submit
reduces even short term costs.   One reason is that it leads to more
reusable software and allows new projects to be started at a lower cost
by using earlier developed capabilities.

Dave