The AMA CPT codes have a tortuous history and are currently in a
legally ambiguous place supported by aggressive AMA lawyers.  It is
similar to the legally tenuous position of the RIAA that they can
control what you can do with the music you have purchased.

A short history.
In testimony before congress in 1997, T. Reginald Harris, Chairman of
the AMA CPT Editorial Board stated:  "The AMA has taken additional
steps to make CPT available over the Internet and is expected to
complete an agreement with the HCFA in the very near future. Under the
agreement, complete public access to HCFA data files containing CPT
will be available, free of charge, both domestically and internationally."
Congress then passed legislation mandating use of the CPT codes for
medical billing.
However, the AMA did not make the codes freely available domestically
and internationally.  Instead, they have been selling the codes under
very restrictive licensing agreements and in fact earn tens of
millions of dollars a year from these fees.

The AMA has been very aggressively policing "misuse" of the codes (for
example, taking legal action against people who have made the codes
"freely available on the Internet").  Their legal position is tenuous
and has never been tested fully in court.  Instead, they have relied
on the intimidation of their lawyers to produce compliance.  Similar
cases such as Feist v. Rural Telephone and DrewTech v. SAE have
produced results which would seem to prohibit the AMA from charging
for the codes.

That said, it is probably best not to challenge the AMA.  Our corrupt
politicians should address the problem but of course, they will not go
against a big contributor.

You can buy the codes for use (under their restrictive license) from
the AMA and that is probably the best course of action.

/Mark

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/apps/ama/license.asp?file=http://new.cms.hhs.gov/apps/ama/report_xyz.pdf