I think, then, a good web-based community project would be the
creation of a whole new set of codes and descriptions.  However the
codes would happen to map one-to-one with the CPT codes, and the
mapping would be created/shared only among those with CPT licenses.

Publications that reference CPT codes could be trivially changed to
reference the new codes, and individual practitioners would have no
need or use for the mapping table or anything else containing CPT
codes.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com