The PIDS specification deals with this fairly well, in my opinion.
It is similar to naming issues in DNS.  It specifies that an identifier
must be unique in a domain, but this could be hospital lab, a hospital,
a regional care provider, a state or a nation.  It enables mapping
between identifiers for multiple identifiers for the same person.  This
is all spelled out in the spec originally published in 1998.   This is
likely to be expanded with the EIS specification now being
considered by the OMG (and HL7).

Dave