Hi Stephen (from APAMI list),
Let me try and allay your fears on the concept of  "Openness" in
standards. I don't know how many from the APAMI list is also on the
Openhealth list and there had been discussion already on this subject
matter there. What I will do is to cross post my responses to the
Openhealth list and extract whatever relevant discussion that had been
posted there to this list. If anyone finds these cross posting
incomplete please don't hesitate to chip in.

I think this is a genuine attempt for those in the FOSS community to
engage our colleagues supporting "non-open" formats (I hope I'm using
the politically correct terms) without wanting to restrict or constrain
anyone's viewpoints. None of us want a philosophical discussion either.
Let me also state here that the programmes for the OSHCA conference are
being massaged by the community to ensure that the deliberations at the
conference and the conference output will be of benefit to all. Here's
what I had in mind for the conference objectives as in the OSHCA
web-portal. Clearly the objectives address OSHCA Vision and Mission
Statements.

>    1. Share and review current FOSS applications in healthcare
>    2. Share and review current technologies in healthcare software
>    3. Conceptualise and define OSHCA's role in managing FOSS
>       collaborative services
>    4. Explore the role of open standards in facilitating interoperable
>       health information communication
>    5. Promote OSHCA and its activities particularly to IT and
>       healthcare communities in Asia-Pacific region
>    6. Promote the advantages of using FOSS applications to managers of
>       healthcare facilities in public and private sectors in the
>       Asia-Pacific region.

The emphasis on Asia-Pacific region is because of funding from
UNDP-APDIP and subsequently our proposals for funding under IDRC's PAN
Asia eHealth Research Network.

Here's some views on the matter from the Openhealth list.

Quoting Thomas Beale from the OpenEHR project....

>I think that if we are to spend any time at all on this question, it
>should be couched in terms of "what business model makes sense for
>standards development"? And we should show why open source thinking has
>something to offer.
>
>To give you an idea of the kind of thinking that could be exposed, here
>is my opinion:
>I think they should be open and freely usable - in fact I think the only
>sensible business model for standards development is to give them away
>free and charge some money for compliance testing. What ISO and many
>other bodies do is completely wrong, and hence fails most of the time
>(there are far more ISO standards than are actually used, because people
>cannot even examine them for fitness without paying for them. Hence a
>vast amount of talking, time off and air miles are wasted on producing
>documents that never see the light of day).

Thomas continues....

>Just to continue on my "software ecosystem" comment a few posts back, I
>think this conference would be an opportunity to show more than just
>"why open source is good" in a general sense. We already have the proof
>that this is true in some areas, with category-topping efforts like
>Linux & Apache. We also already have some great medical open source
>systems. What we don't have is a standard-based, interoperable ecosystem
>of software that we can offer the industry as a whole. What I think we
>want is to show that we can build a cathedral, but do it in the bazaar.
>We need something that looks like objectweb.org, but in health. Putting
>openly developed standards together with openly developed software is
>the key to the future in my view, and we should be developing the
>necessary thinking now; the conference is an ideal opportunity to aim
>for exposing such ideas.

I've dropped copying to the OSHCA Committee because everyone there are
on the Openhealth List.

Molly